Global Mapper is a powerful tool for GIS. It has many features that can be used to convert from one format to another. In this article, I am going to convert SRTM to ASCII Grid in Global Mapper. If you purchase the Global Mapper full version, you will get access to many online datasets. The SRTM I use in this tutorial is coming from the online dataset that can be accessed from GM directly.
SRTM is a well-known topography format. You can read more about SRTM in this wiki page. Global Mapper comes with a pre-defined SRTM connection which allows us to choose and connect to the online SRTM data sources.
Steps to Convert SRTM to ASCII Grid in Global Mapper
- Open or load the SRTM data to Global Mapper. You can use both local files or simply open the Online SRTM Data.
- Go to File >> Export >> Export Elevation Grid Format
- Choose Arc ASCII Grid from the list
- Change some settings when required in the next step. You may specify the export boundary in this step
- Click OK and then provide the output file location
Watch the following video to convert SRTM to ASCII Grid