Welcome to another tutorial of QGIS. In this article, you will find out how to create random points inside a polygon. QGIS comes with many tools that we can use for many purposes. In my work, sometimes I need to create random points within a polygon. So basically, we are going to create random points like in the following screenshot.
As you can see, there are points spread inside a polygon. These points are generated automatically using a special tool in QGIS. Don’t worry, we will get there in a moment.
Steps to Create Random Points Inside Polygon on QGIS
Follow these steps to create random points inside a polygon on QGIS
- Open or create a new polygon layer
- Go to Vector | Research Tool | Random Points Inside Polygon
- Select the polygon layer as the Input layer
- Choose the sampling strategy
- Set the minimum distance between points (optional)
- Hit OK to start the process
That’s it. Once the process is completed, you will see the random points layer on your QGIS. Thanks for reading this article and I hope you enjoy it. Cheers.