Hello everyone, welcome to another Mapinfo Tutorial for beginners. In this article, we are going to learn how to clip a MapInfo layer with a polygon. In some cases, you may need to cut or clip a large vector dataset or table into a smaller one. There are some reasons why we need to clip a MapInfo table:
- Large dataset takes longer time to load
- You want to focus on a smaller area only
For example, I have a large contour file that covers the entire projects I am currently working on. It took a long time to load this file, so I need to clip it to focus on a certain area only. MapInfo with Discover has a feature called “Clip to Polygon“. This tool will help us to crop or clip a table using polygon.
So here is the illustration of what we are going to do:
You can see that I have a contour file and a red box polygon. I want to clip this contour table using the red polygon. And this is the final result:
Now we have a contour file but only inside the polygon. To achieve this, please follow these steps below.
Clip Layer to Polygon on MapInfo Professional
- Open MapInfo Professional
- Open the table that you want to clip
- Open or create a new polygon to clip against
- Select the polygon (you must select the polygon) and go to Discover >> Object Editing >> Clip to Polygon
- Enable the “Operate on copy of data”, add suffix to be appended to the table and select the table to clip. Click OK
- Specify the directory to save the clip result
Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy it and see you next time.
How to Clip Shapefile with Polygon on ArcMap 10.7 | GIS TutorialMarch 9, 2020
[…] Hello everyone, welcome to another ArcGIS tutorial. In the following article, we are going to learn how to clip shapefile with a polygon on ArcMap 10.7. In the previous tutorial, I have shown how to clip layer with the polygon in Mapinfo Professional. […]