Mapinfo Professional with Discover offers an easy way to create and manage drill hole database. In this article, we are going to show you how to create a new drill hole database on Mapinfo Professional. Please note that the standalone version of Mapinfo does not comes with Drill hole menu. The Drillhole menu is available on Discover. For more information about Discover, please visit the Datamine Discover website.
Before we can create a new drillhole database, we need to prepare the following items.
- Drill hole collar table (mandatory)
- Survey table (optional)
- Topography (Optional)
If you choose to use a single Drill hole collar table, you will need to ensure that the table has the following fields:
- Hole ID
- Easting (X)
- Northing (Y)
For example, here is my table structure for Drillhole Collar table
As you can see, my collar table has everything we need.
Steps to create a new Drillhole database on Mapinfo Professional
- Activate the Drillhole menu from Discover | Drillhole Menu
- Open Project Manager from Drillhole menu
- Click New button
- Enter the new project name and path
- Select the project unit and project type. Press Next
- Select the collar table and map each field.
- Click Next until finished.
In the following video you can see the whole process to create a new drillhole database in Mapinfo Professional.
In the next tutorial, I will show you how to create cross section, long section and plan. Stay tune in this blog.