In this article, I am going to show you how to create a surface grid from a contour file in Surfer. As you know, Surfer is a powerful gridding software that capable to create grids from many sources. It is also very easy to use even for a newbie. You can download or purchase Surfer full version from this official link.
We can easily create a surface from elevation points or elevation contours. The contour file can be in shapefile format (.shp), mapinfo (.tab), dxf or any other supported file formats.
Steps to Create Surface Grid from Contours in Surfer
- Open Surfer and create a new plot file
- Go to Home tab >> Base >> Base
- Select the contour file and press Open. You should see your contour file opened in Surfer plot window
- Go to Grid tab and click Grid from Contour
- On the Grid Contour window, choose the contour file as well as the field you want to use.
- Surfer will automatically calculate the output grid geometry but you can also modify it.
- Specify the output grid file