QGIS is a complete GIS Application that supports many data sources both offline and online. In this article, we are going to learn about how to add ArcGIS REST Service in QGIS. ArcGIS REST Service is a free, online dataset that can be incorporated into our map. Before we go through, you may wonder what the ArcGIS REST Service is. Basically, the ArcGIS REST API is a web service published by ArcGIS Server to access a data.
ArcGIS REST Service is incorporated with ESRI GIS product such as ArcGIS Desktop. But the great thing is that we can also use that service in QGIS. We only need to do some simple steps in order to use this service.
In the following example, we are going to add or open the same World Imagery as shown above in QGIS. To do this, follow these steps.
Add ArcGIS REST Service on QGIS
- Open QGIS
- Go to Layer >> Add Layer >> Add ArcGIS MapServer Layer
- On the Data Source Manager window, click New.
- Enter the connection details. Please open this web page to get the URL for the ArcGIS MapServer layer. http://server.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services
5. Copy the URL from the services list. In this example, I want to use World Imagery.
6. Give it a name and paste the URL. Click OK
7. Click Connect and you should see some layers shown. Select the layer you want to open and click Add.
Now you should see the ArcGIS MapServer layer in QGIS. That’s the way to open the ArcGIS REST Service in QGIS. I hope you enjoy the article. See you.